The first church was dedicated in 1844. It was a modest Romanesque structure with cloisters on each side. To it was added, in 1882, a large chancel with a splendid east window. Because of the growth of Sidcup after the coming of the railway, the Romanesque structure was pulled down in 1900, and a large nave with side aisles and a tower, was built in Early English style by the architect G. H Fellowes-Prynne. This had a capacity seating of 900 and was quite the largest church in Rochester Diocese. The graveyard was enlarged in 1936 when the vicarage was pulled down and a hall built for the church and another for the Masons. It was hoped to add a steeple to the tower but there was insufficient money to accomplish this. Some of the stained glass was destroyed in World War Two, and Sir Ninian Comper designed a new east window and a new window in the Lady Chapel. Recent work undertaken has removed pews and moved the pulpit to accommodate a nave altar. It still is an awe inspiring building, with its lofty columns, high clerestory, and noteworthy glass.